On Family
Amily Sommers
When I was young, I would pretend
That I belonged to another
family.
And they would come and whisk me
away,
And I would be something great.
It only takes one look, however,
To chase my daydreams away.
I can disown my family no more
Than they could deny me.
I can see myself in my mother,
My face, my height, my shape,
My unruly hair which can never be
tamed,
And my love for all things dark.
I see myself in my father too,
My awkward personality,
The way we always wish to speak,
But never know the words.
The resemblance is in my siblings
too;
We’re so similar it’s creepy.
Six children with only two faces,
And all of the same behaviors.
Like others, I can look at my
family
And see exactly what I am,
But where others might dread this
revelation,
I see it as a comfort.
No matter where I go in life,
Or how far apart I stand,
There will always be a place I
can return to,
A place where I belong.

Beautiful poem. I love this particular style of poetry- the language is readable, the images are precise and detailed, not too fluffy if I can say that. I like to write my poetry that way so I really enjoyed this. My favorite line was "Six children with only two faces," -absolutely brilliant! You connected your poem very well with Andrew Hudgins' poem- taking the idea of looking at your family and thinking "Did I really come from this? Oh, yes I did, because we're identical." I'm sure it's a hard thing to accept sometimes, but you articulated it well in your poem.
ReplyDelete