When the story began with Aylmer mulling over his wife's birthmark, saying that her beauty made the mark that much more hideous, I knew that this story would not end well. When Georgiana said that she would rather die than live with her birthmark, I began to believe that that may very well be the outcome. And when Aminadab muttered "If she were my wife, I'd never part with that birth-mark", I knew for certain that Georgiana was going to die. Perhaps I've just read too many dark and twisted tales, but that line just seemed to scream "foreshadowing!"
Of course, I was right. Aylmer wasn't satisfied with Georgiana's beauty as long as she wasn't perfect. He couldn't accept that one small blemish, and in his efforts toward perfection, he lost her completely. Even Georgiana said something similar just before she died. The part that struck me the most, though, was Aminadab's chuckling. Described as short, bulky, grimy, and covered with shaggy hair, I couldn't help but think of Frankenstein's Igor. This man, seeming almost sub-human compared to Aylmer and Georgiana, had more wisdom than either one of them. He knew they should have left the mark alone, and he was the only one not surprised by the potion's effects.

I felt the same way about her death being foreshadowed, especially after his dream. I was extremely sorry to see Georgiana slowly decline to the point of willing to die to remove the birth mark. It seemed like her husband dragged her down with him as he became obsessive over the mark.
ReplyDeleteIt does seem that way, especially because she said in the beginning that she thought of it as a charm.
DeleteHa ha, I thought about Igor as well, very descriptive in his character. I noticed, besides Georgiana's birth-mark, there wasn't much physical description the three of them, except for Aminadab. I wonder why that is?
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about that, but you're right. Hawthorne describes Aminadab in detail, but all he mentions about the other two are Georgiana's beauty and mark, and that Aylmer was slender and pale. Hmmm...
Delete